Chantilly cream French recipe
- 250 g (9 oz) whipping cream
- 50 g (1 3/4oz) icing sugar
- Pinch vanilla powder or a vanilla bean
- difficult recipe
preparation: 20 minutes
plus preparation and cooling time for pastry cream
- Nutrition Facts (amount per serving):
- Calories: XX(kCal)
Protein: XX (g)
Total fat: XX (g)
Total carbohydrate: XX (g)
Sugars: XX (g)
Chantilly cream is vanilla-flavored whipped cream in which icing sugar is added at the end.
Chantilly cream is not an Italian recipe. It was created in France. Read more below.
Here it is the recipe. If you choose the vanilla bean you have to begin the day before, on the contrary you can begin from the second step.
Flavor the whipping cream with the vanilla bean. Pour the whipping cream in a little bowl. Cut the vanilla bean lengthways, remove its seeds and transfer the opened bean and seeds into the whipping cream. Cover the bowl with cling film and chill in the coldest part of the refrigerator, that is below.
The day after you have to strain the whipping cream before beating it.
Beat and sweeten the cream. According to the original recipe you should pour the cream into a tinner copped bowl, place it in another larger bowl full of ice and beat the cream by hand using a wire whisk until soft picks form when the whisk is lifted.
At this point you should sweeten the whipped cream incorporating the icing sugars. Fold the icing sugar into the whipped cream with circular movements from the bottom upwards, using a wooden spoon. Be careful not to deflate the whipped cream.
Who decides to use vanilla powder must add it to the whipped cream just before serving or using it following the same technique just described for icing sugar.
But is it really necessary to beat the whipping cream that way? Read more below.
- - You should prepare Chantilly cream just before serving or using it. Anyway chill it until its use.
- - You can use Chantilly cream in diferent ways. You can serve it in cup garnished with chopped hazelnuts, cookies, chocolate flakes ... You can garnish fresh fruit with it such as fresh straberries or cherries or kiwi fruit or asorted ice cream .... You can use it to spoon tha layers of sponge cake or Maddalena cake.
- - When Chantilly cream is flavored with vanilla bean it is tastier. We recommend it if served in cup alone or accompanied with fresh fruit or ice cream.
- - You can find other tips to whip the cream on this page: how to whip the cream.
Here we anticipate the main tip: you have to do it very quickly and use the wire whisk and bowl very cold. Put them in the freezer for 10 minutes. For the best result you should put the whipping cream in the freezer too but only for few minutes.
- - Remember the best cream to fill a sponge cake or a Madalena cake is a mixture formed by Chantilly cream and custard. In Italy we call it "crema diplomatica".
A bit of history
Chantilly cream was created by François Vatel in 1671. He was a maitre d'hotel and worked for the Prince of Condé. The Prince of Condé asked him to organize the biggest party of the century in honor of the king Louis XIV. The party was held in the Castle of Chantilly and Vatel created this cream to garnish the straberries in cup. He called this cream Chantilly in honor of the Castle.