Maddalena cake is the ideal basis for making an iced or a filled cake. You have to use no yeast for preparing it. Other basic preparations of Italian cooking?
- 4 eggs
- 120g (4 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
- 80g (2.8 ounces) white flour
- 40g (1 1/2 ounce) potato starch
- 40g (1 1/2 ounce) unsalted butter
- A pinch of vanilla powder
- A pinch of salt
preparation: 40 minutes
cooking: 45 minutes
total: 1h 25 minutes
- Nutrition Facts (amount per serving):
Calories: 147 (kCal) - 617 (kJ)
Protein: 3.8 (g)
Total fat: 5.4 (g)
Total carbohydrate: 21.8 (g)
Sugars: 12.5 (g)
- - Mix flour, potato starch, salt and vanilla powder.
- - Put eggs and sugar in a little saucepan and place it in a bain-marie over a very low heat.
- - Beat this mixture with a whisk until it becomes foamy.
Be careful not to warm up too much: the dough could become too dry.
- - Remove the saucepan from the heat and continue whisking until your mixture is cold.
- - At this point melt 30g (1 ounce) butter.
- - Grease a 24-26 cm (about 10in) cake tin with the remaining butter.
- - Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- - Add flour, potato starch, salt and vanilla powder to sugar-and-egg mixture through a strainer.
- - Stir with circular movements from the bottom upwards, using a wooden spoon.
Be careful not to collapse your mixture.
- - Now add melted butter too and stir.
- - Stir, pour the dough into the cake tin and level the surface.
- - Bake for about 40 minutes or until the surface is golden.
- - Let the cake cool before stuffing or icing.
- - The best thing would be to prepare Maddalena cake the day before.
- - The secret of its soft and light dough is whisking eggs very well and slowly in order to give the mixture the possibility to imprison many little air bubbles.
- - Another secret is: don't open oven while cake is cooking!
- - The doses are enough for a 24-26 cm (about 10in) cake tin.
- - Fiber per serving: 0.2 grams
Greetings from Italy!
If you want to combine this dish with other ones for a complete menu, consult our "Members-only Area".