The term "mushroom" and its variations may have been derived from the French word mousseron in reference to moss (mousse)
Our original home cooking
- - Autumnal pie: Autumnal savoury pie made with mushrooms, potatoes and head cabbage.
- - Christmas risotto, Italian-style: Enter your description here so that you can take advantage of search engine optimization.
- - Classic rice salad: Classic rice salad. Step-by-step recipe description. How to serve rice salad and menu planning. How many calories in rice salad?
- - Cockerel with mushrooms: Poussin recipe with fresh or frozen mushrooms.
- - Cocoa pasta with mushroom-and-rabbit sauce: Cocoa pasta with mushrooms and rabbit. Recipe, calories, menu idea, paired wine and associated children's story.
- - Fillet steaks with mushrooms & potatoes: Mushroom-and-potato fillet. Recipe, two matched Italian menu ideas, calories and paired wines.
- - Four seasons pizza: How to make four season pizza at home
- - Italian rice salad: Italian rice salad. Its ingredients are really Italian food: cotto ham, cheese, eggs, tuna, porcini, sun dried tomatoes, zucchini. A real goodness for your special occasion menus.
- - Lamb with mushrooms and potatoes: Lamb with mushrooms and potatoes. Recipe, tips and menu planning idea for a full menu,Italian-style. Matched wine and calories included.
- - Mushroom tagliatelle: Tagliatelle with mushrooms. A tasty first course made with egg pasta dressed with a sauce made with mushrooms, tomatoes, pumpkin and aromatic herbs.
- - Mushroom-and-prawn risotto: Italian risotto recipe idea: mushroom-and-prawn risotto. A quick and tasty main dish.
- - Pasta salad with buffalo mozzarella: Pasta salad with buffalo mozzarella. A great dish for your summer menus. The recipe includes directions, suggested Italian menu, calories and paired wine.
- - Pasta salad with quail eggs: Pasta salad with mushrooms and bell peppers in oil, peas, quail eggs and short pasta. Ideal for your summer daily or celebration menu, alfresco dinner or a meal, buffet-style in every season.
- - Pasta salad with shrimps and potatoes: Pasta salad with shrimps, potatoes, green beans and porcino mushrooms. Trendy cold dish for your summer parties, Italian-style. Paired wines included.
- - Polenta and mushrooms: How to make mushroom polenta, Italy-style. Doses, ingredients and directions to make a low-fat and more digestible recipe. Calories and menu ideas included.
- - Porcini mushrooms risotto: Risotto with fresh porcini mushrooms. Low fat recipe with rice. Vegetarian and vegan recipe too.
- - Roast turkey breast roll: Roast turkey breast roll. Filling: red cabbage, pumpkin and veal sausage. Recipe, menu planning, calories and paired wine.
- - Savory cake with bacon and mushrooms in oil: Savory cake with bacon and mushrooms in oil. Serve it as starter or side dish for meat or one-plate meal.
- - Savory cookies for cocktail party: Topped savory cookies for cocktail party, Italian aperitivo, tea party, buffet meal. Recipe, menu planning, calories.
- - Savory cream puffs with mushrooms and prawns: Savory cream puffs filled with mushrooms and prawns. Recipe and calories. Ideas to serve them.
- - Spicy spaghetti with assorted vegetables: Spicy spaghetti with assorted vegetables. Vegan recipe that include calories and matched wine. No-tomato sauce.
- - Tagliatelle with chantarelle and chestnuts: Spelt tagliatelle with chanterelle-and-chestnut sauce. Recipe, menu ideas for get-togethers, calories and paired wine.
- - Turkey roll filled with frankfurter an mushro...: Turkey roll filled with mushroom in oil and frankfurter, delicate and tasty, ideal for everybody in daily menus or in special occasions, celebration menu too. Recipe with butrition facts.
- - Assorted antipasto platter, Umbria-style: Typical Umbrian antipasto platter with assorted salami, crostini, bruschettas and frittata. Step-by-step instructions to make a classic Italian starter. Nutrition facts included.
- - Carrettiera spaghetti : Spaghetti with mushrooms, tuna and bacon, typical recipe of Rome.
- - Chicken croquettes: Chicken croquettes are a mixture of leftover cooked chicken, cooked ham, mushrooms and bechamel. Then they are dipped into bread crumbs and fried. A real tidbit according to the Italian cuisine.
- - Crostini with mushrooms in oil: Crostini with mushrooms in olive oil to accompany assorted cold cuts or to serve as finger food for an aperitif.
- - Fettuccine Roma-style: Fettuccine Roma-style. Traditional recipe plus quick and light version. Calories, menu idea and paired wine.
- - Fried mushrooms: Fried mushrooms. Recipe directions, tips to serve them and note about healthy eating.
- - Mushrooms in oil: Homemade mushrooms in oil How-To: ingredients, doses, step-by-step directions. Precautions to avoid Botox. How to serve them.
- - Mushrooms salad : Mushroom salad. Low fat recipe whose ingredients are mushrooms, truffles, emmental cheese and olive oil. Other version too. Calories are included.
- - Mushrooms with tomato sauce: Mushrooms in tomato sauce: authentic Italian recipe to cook wild or cultivated mushrooms. Tips, menu idea, calories are included.
- - Neapolitan macaroni timbale: Macaroni timpano, the authentic macaroni pie from Naples made with a lot of ingredients: chicken beast, veal meatballs, hard-boiled eggs, salami, mushrooms, sausage and tomato sauce.
- - Paella: Paella is a typical Spanish dish in which rice is colored with saffron and paprika and cooked together with meat, fish and vegetables. A tasty idea for your get-togethers.
- - Pappardelle with mushrooms and peas: Pappardelle with mushrooms and peas. Recipe, menu planning, calories, paired wine.Low-fat and low-calorie vegetarian pasta dish.
- - Pizza caprice: Italian pizza with mushrooms, gherkins, olives and mozzarella cheese
- - Savoy cabbage and lentil soup: Italian soup made with savoy cabbage, lentils, mushrooms, pasta and bacon
- - Stewed mushrooms: Stewed mushrooms or mushrooms trifolati. Simple to do recipe. Directions, calories and serving ideas.
- - Stockfish with mushrooms | Calabria recipes: Sockfish with mushrooms. Old Calabria recipe. Stockfish of Mammola is cooked together with wild mushrooms and tomato sauce.
- - Stuffed aubergines: A typical dish from Spain. Aubergines are filled with veal and pork meat and mushrooms.
- - Traditional rice salad : Traditional rice salad, Italian-style. Full menu idea too. Tips and tricks to decrease rice salad calories.
Raw cultivated mushrooms
Nutritive value in 100 g edible part
|Total dietary fiber||g||2.3|
Description. Mushroom is the name for the fleshy fruiting body bearing spores of a fungus. The vegetative part of a fungus is called mycelium; mycelium is formed by a mass of thin branches that are like threads (hyphae). Mushroom is produced above ground on soil or on its food source while mycelium is the undeground part of a fungus.
The fruiting bodies come in a wild variety of colours, shapes and sizes. The world-known cultivated mushroom is the white button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus).
Mushrooms are placed in a Kingdom of their own, the Kingdom of Fungi. They are neither animal or plant. In fact they have no green chlorophyll as the plants have and so they can't make ... Besides their cells have a wall, on the contrary animal cells have no wall.
Generally they have a stem, a cap and gills (lamellae) on the underside of the cap.
Here we are going to tell only about edible mushrooms.
Fungi are critical components of the ecosystem, and coupled with bacteria and insects, recycle all dead matter over time.
Mushroom types. Porcini (or ceps) and Caesar's mushrooms are well known mushrooms in the world. In Italy we have the most famous types in Tuscany, Calabria and Piedmont. We must remember Borgotaro's porcino, an IGP mushroom in Parma that includes 4 species: Boletus aestivalis, Boletus pinophilus, Boletus aereus e Boletus edulis.
Other types: chanterelles, honey fungus, oyster and morel mushrooms.
Mushrooms can be wild or cultivated.
Wild mushrooms can be found on the ground at or near the base of stumps of tree trunks of dead (dying or aging) hardwoods (oaks, chestnut, beech, black gums, elms, maples). Some mushrooms are available all year round but for other mushrooms it's necessary to wait for the right season. Before picking mushrooms answer to these simple questions: are you absolutely sure to be able in identifying the edible species? do you know if there are any restrictions on the quantity you can pick?
Cultivated mushrooms. The white button mushroom is also known as champignon of Paris, white mushroom, table mushroom, cremini, Champignon mushroom, crimini mushroom, Swiss brown mushrooms, Roman brown mushrooms, Italian brown, Italian mushroom or simplier common mushroom or cultivated mushroom (Agaricus bisporus, Agaricus hortensis, Agaricus pratensis). His cultivation began in France in the XIX century and then spread all over the world from there.
Other cultivated species are:
- Agaricus violaceus known also as Violet cort or Violet webcap that is cultivated on dead leaves.
- Pleurotus ostreatus (oyster mushrooms) cultivated on dead woods
- Shiitake, exotic mushrooms, very tasty and with white flesh; it's cultivated on dead trunks of trees. (oak, chestnut, beech, alder, gum, or sugar maple)
Dried mushrooms. There are many methods that can be used to dry mushrooms. Generally the most common mushroom that is dried is Boletus edulis also known as punny ben or cep or porcino in Italian. The mushrooms are sliced after cleaning and then dried in the sun or under the wind or in special dryer. Mushrooms have more concentrated flavor with this technique and so you can use less amount compared with fresh mushrooms.
Dried mushrooms must be soaked in warm water for at least 30 minutes (we say it would be better 60 minutes) before cooking. You should also use their soaking water for the best result.
Be careful when you are going to buy dried mushrooms. The package must be undamaged. Prefer dried mushrooms with whole slices and not cut into pieces. In Italy we are used to make a lot of recipes with dried porcini. For example porcini risotto (or mushroom risotto).
In Italy we also find dried chanterelles and other varieties, especiallly assorted dried mushrooms.
Poisonous mushrooms. We remember you there are a lot of poisonous mushrooms. Be careful when you are picking them up. Pick up only the species you know very well. Besides you must not believe people who tell you it's easy to recognize the poisonous mushrooms from their color changes once cut or testing them with silver, garlic or onion! These tests are not scientific, at all!
Nutritive properties. We have listed the nutritive value of the most common mushroom or cultivated mushroom (Agaricus bisporus). The other fungi are not very different from these values.
As you can see in the table mushrooms are hypocaloric and poor in fat. For this reason they are used as slimming food very much. They are rich in minerals, phosphorus and water. Take note of this: 100 g (3 1/2oz) dried porcini derive from 1 kg (2lb and 3 1/4oz) fresh ones! It depends on the great amount of water (95%).
Their flavor depends on 38 different substances that persist even after their drying process.
For more detail about mushroom recipe ideas read the page dedicated to mushrooms on The Italian Taste.com