Step-by-step directions to make cannelloni with different kind of pasta
I chose a recipe of mine to teach you how to make cannelloni. The technique is the same for every other version. The filling for this recipe requires ricotta and mozzarella cheese, cotto ham. The sauce is made with tomatoes, peas and olives. The photos were taken by my husband.
Ingredients / Serves 8
- For cannelloni sauce
- 700ml (1.5 pints - 3C) puréed tomatoes
- 250ml (8.5 fluid ounces - 1C) dry white wine
- 40g (1.5 ounces) green olives, sliced
- 200g (7 ounces) canned peas, well drained
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 dried bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- For cannelloni filling
- 500g (1.1 pounds) ricotta cheese
- 375g (13.23 ounces) mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 100g (3.5 ounces) cotto ham, sliced
- Some tablespoons grated Parmigiano cheese
- And ...
- 250g (8.8 ounces) fresh egg pasta cut into 7.5 x 12.5cm (3 x 5in) rectangles. If you want to learn how to make egg pasta, consult this page
- medium difficulty
preparation: 45 minutes
cooking: 60 minutes
total: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Nutrition Facts (amount per serving):
- Calories: 445(kCal)
Protein: 25.8 (g)
Total fat: 26.7 (g)
Total carbohydrate: 26.0 (g)
Sugars: 7.6 (g)
- - Name: Cannelloni (or manicotti in the north America) - a great pasta from Italy.
- - Shape: pasta tubes, 7.5-10.0cm (3-4in) long or sheets of egg pasta.
- - Dressing and cooking: generally they are filled with meat, cheese, vegetables or fish, covered with sauce and baked.
- - Package: you can find them easily.
Cannelloni can be dried and it's necessary to boil them before filling. Remember to add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil to water to avoid sticking. You have to cook a few cannelloni at a time and respect the cooking time suggested on the package. Once drained or removed from the boiling water with the skimmer, cannelloni must be arranged on kitchen towels until they are used. However, it is always good to speed things up to prevent them from drying out.
But there are also packaged cannelloni which do not need to be cooked in boiling water before filling them.
Cannelloni can also be made with sheets of handmade egg pasta rolled into tubes. This is the recipe I'm going to show you. You can also use ready to use fresh egg pasta sold in sheets.
- - Now I'm going to show you how to fill, dress and cook fresh egg pasta for making an authentic Italian cannelloni dish.
Cannelloni recipe How-To
- - Prepare cannelloni sauce. You can do it in advance.
Add all the ingredients listed above in a saucepan, except olive oil, parsley and chives.
Cook on medium heat, 15 to 20 minutes.
The sauce you need for this recipe can't be too thick because it must cover cannelloni very well but it must not be too fluid in order to avoid some water remains in the bottom of the baking pan.
When your sauce reaches the right consistency, turn off the stove, add the olive oil, chives and parsley and stir accurately.
- - Look at the other steps with the help of my husband's photos.
Click on every photo to enlarge it.
Prepare all the ingredients you have to use not to lose your time, included a large bowl for the filling, two baking pans, a wooden spoon, a spoon, a ladle, the grater, a sharp little knife and the chopping board.
Put all the ingredients you need for the filling in the bowl: ricotta cheese, grated mozzarella, cotto ham, grated Parmesan, aromatic herbs and, finally, all eggs.
Take a rectangle of egg pasta and dampen it quickly with a brush, dipped in water.
This facilitates the next stage that is to cut in half each rectangle.
In fact these sheets are too large.Their size is ideal to make lasagna. So it is necessary to reduce their size.
Halve every sheet.
Roll the rectangle.
Making the first cannellone (cannellone is the singular noun in Italian, that is only a piece), you can learn easily the right quantity of filling you have to use. You have to avoid the filling goes out of the ends of the pasta tube. But in the same way, it is important that every pasta tube is full of filling.
- - Bake until cannelloni surface is golden, 25 to 30 minutes. .
- - You can also prepare the cannelloni in the baking pan in advance and chill until you want to cook them (12-24 hours).
- - Fiber per serving: 2.7 grams per head.
- - Other ideas to fill cannelloni in the page for fresh pasta. In fact cannelloni can be stuffed with ravioli filling too and then topped with a simple tomato sauce.